CAIRO (Reportase One) – Sudan’s military said Wednesday (19/4) that 177 Egyptian soldiers captured by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have been returned to their home countries.
Egyptian media reported late on Wednesday that the soldiers, who were in Sudan for training and were captured by the RSF at the Merowe military base, had returned to Egypt.
Responding to the report, Egyptian military spokesman Gharib Abdel Hafez said that his party is closely monitoring the situation in Sudan and is continuously coordinating with the Sudanese authorities to ensure the safety of the Egyptian army.
“Thanks to the coordination of the Sudanese and Egyptian sides, today (Wednesday) 177 Egyptian air force soldiers, who were detained in Merowe during the uprising by the RSF, were evacuated to Egypt from Dongola Airport (in northern Sudan) using four Egyptian military transport planes,” said the statement. Sudan national army on social media.
On Saturday (15/4), the RSF stated that a battalion of the Egyptian national army had surrendered at the Merowe military airbase. The Egyptian military said they were coordinating with Sudanese authorities to ensure the safety of their troops.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi revealed that the Egyptian soldiers had previously arrived in Sudan not to support any side, but to hold training.
Earlier on Wednesday, RSF said that the Egyptian battalion was transferred from Merowe to the capital Khartoum and would be handed over to the Egyptian authorities when possible.
Armed contact between the Sudanese national army and the RSF broke out on Saturday with the center of the fighting in Khartoum. The Sudanese military accused the RSF of mutiny and carrying out airstrikes against a number of government-owned military bases.
The same day, Sudan’s army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan issued a decree disbanding the RSF.
Then on Tuesday (18/4), the two sides agreed to a 24-hour ceasefire starting at 18:00 local time.
As of Wednesday, Sudan’s Health Ministry estimated that around 270 people had been killed and another 2,600 injured during the fighting.
Also read: Health facilities in Sudan were looted, used for military purposes
Also read: The UN Human Rights Commissioner calls for an end to the fighting in Sudan
Translator: Tegar Nurfitra
Editor: Anton Santoso
COPYRIGHT © BETWEEN 2023