Mafindo recorded 664 hoaxes during the first quarter of 2023

Mafindo recorded 664 hoaxes during the first quarter of 2023

Jakarta (Reportase One) – Research and Development member of the Indonesian Anti-Defamation Society (Mafindo) Linda Salma revealed that there were 664 hoaxes or false information found during the first quarter of 2023.

“We saw that in the first quarter of 2023 the number of hoax findings by the Mafindo fact team was 664 hoaxes,” said Linda in Mafindo’s webinar “Research and Development Talk #01” in Jakarta, Wednesday.

According to him, the findings of hoaxes in the first quarter of 2023 have increased compared to the same period in I-2022. The highest number occurred in January with findings of 257 hoaxes.

In the first three months of 2023, he continued, political themes have dominated the number of hoaxes with as many as 233 findings (35 percent). Political hoaxes have a magnitude of about two to four times that of other themes.

Followed by the themes of personal affairs, crime, health, and news of grief, the top five trends in early 2023.

Also read: Mafindo finds 1,698 hoax cases in 2022

Linda added that the theme at the beginning of this year was quite different from 2022 because apart from the emerging political and health themes, there were also other themes and unique events.

Not only that, Linda also revealed the percentage of the top five hoax themes on channels, tools and narratives. For the percentage of channels in the top five hoax themes, the first is the use of YouTube channels.

“That is quite dominant, namely almost 43 percent. Then Facebook 37 percent, the rest are other channels,” he said.

Also read: Mafindo says Facebook is the place where most hoaxes are distributed

Then, the tools used in the five major themes in the first quarter of 2023 which are very dominating are using mixed tools almost 94 percent compared to the remaining 6 percent for other things.

Meanwhile, the narratives in the top five hoax themes were mostly narrations wedge drivers about 51 percent, followed by pipe dream 30 percent, and boogies 6 percent.

Linda said the type of mis/disinformation throughout the first quarter of 2023 was dominated by “Misleading Content” with 237 findings (36 percent), followed by “Manipulated Content” with 178 findings (27 percent).

“This shows that hoaxes in the first quarter of 2023 were mostly designed to influence readers with misleading or manipulated information,” he added.

Mafindo also noted that hoaxes with a combination of text and images or videos dominated the findings in the first quarter of 2023, namely around 603 hoaxes (91 percent). This shows that the use of visual information is a force for hoax makers to convey their claims.

Also read: Hoax! Video of voting results for the 2024 election
Also read: Hoax! Drinking cold water in hot weather can cause blood vessels to burst

Reporter: Narda Margaretha Sinambela
Editor: Didik Kusbiantoro


Source link