Reportase.one, Jakarta – Indonesian U-20 national team players will be invited by Indonesian President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) to the Presidential Palace after canceling their appearance at the 2023 U-20 World Cup because FIFA ruled out Indonesia as host.
The President’s plan to invite Hokky Caraka and friends was revealed by PSSI General Chair Erick Thohir after meeting with President Jokowi at the Jakarta Presidential Palace, Friday, to report on the results of a meeting with FIFA President Gianni Infantino in Doha, Qatar, Wednesday, March 29, 2023.
“It was stated earlier that the President will also invite the U-20 National Team in one or two days. Of course the mechanism from the Palace will do that,” Erick said in a press statement at the President’s Office after the meeting.
Nevertheless, Erick did not further explain the President’s purpose in inviting the U-20 National Team, whether to encourage or apologize for the cancellation of the U-20 World Cup in Indonesia.
Erick stated that President Jokowi already had a solution as the government’s effort to facilitate young Indonesian football talents even though their chance to appear at the U-20 World Cup had just disappeared.
Erick, who also serves as the Minister of SOEs, stated that he would follow the instructions from the solution prepared by President Jokowi.
“Of course I said, ‘Sir, I’ll just go with you.’ This is the government that has to be there,” he said.
Indonesia was officially dropped as the host for the 2023 U-20 World Cup through an announcement made by FIFA on Wednesday evening, 29 March 2023.
This announcement came after the last few weeks there were pros and cons regarding Israel’s participation in the U-20 World Cup including the rejection by the Governor of Bali I Wayan Koster and the Governor of Central Java Ganjar Pranowo.
In its announcement, FIFA did not mention in detail the reasons for removing Indonesia’s host status, instead adding a statement “due to current conditions”.
The revocation of host status practically prevented the U-20 Indonesian National Team from appearing in the U-20 World Cup considering that they also failed to get a ticket to the finals after they were unable to reach the last four of the 2023 U-20 Asian Cup.
Previously, the U-20 Indonesian National Team had also been met directly by Deputy Chairperson of PSSI Zainudin Amali on Thursday, March 30.
Apart from saying that he could also feel the disappointment of the players who were unable to appear after working hard on preparing themselves, Amali advised the U-20 National Team squad and coach Shin Tae-yong to remain calm.
With this omission, Indonesia has also practically reneged on its commitment to host the U-20 World Cup which it had obtained since 2019 and left potential sanctions.
Some of these potential sanctions include, not being able to hold matches that are recognized by FIFA and even tickets to the 2023 Asian Cup finals which are already in the hands of Shin Tae-yong’s foster children are not impossible to expire.
Editor’s Choice: PSM Makassar Coach Said About Tonight’s Match Against Madura Untied, Which Could Make His Team Champion in League 1
Want to be more connected and have direct discussions with the Football and Sport editors? Let’s join the group Tempo Sports Telegram. You need to install the Telegram application first.